Thursday 26 January 2017

I'm a Pro-Life Democrat (but that probably doesn't mean what you think it does)

I hate abortion; I've been a Christian since I was eight years old.

I'm also a Democrat who supports Planned Parenthood.

These things are not mutually exclusive. In fact I'd argue, if you are truly pro-life, and you truly care about saving the lives of unborn babies, you'll vote Democrat (or Green) pretty much every single time.

As I'm writing this, Evie is nestled into my shoulder, looking out the window. Her tiny little hands are squeezing my arms as she snuggles in close.

Life is precious.

But here's the thing. As much as I admire the goal of many pro-lifers, and their desire to protect unborn babies: most conservative and pro-life policies actually do more harm than good.

How can this be? Well, studies show that making abortion illegal doesn't do anything to reduce the abortion rate, it only reduces the number of mother-safe abortions. Women still have abortions, legal or not. At first this may seem strange, but it actually makes perfect sense. Because making abortion illegal doesn't reduce the number of women with unwanted pregnancies who feel their back is against a wall. And illegal abortion is very cheap, even if unsafe.

What actually brings down the abortion rate? Greater access to affordable birth control (see also this , this and this). And making birth control more affordable is what things like Planned Parenthood and the ACA ( Obamacare ) do.

It's also helpful to look at why women choose to have abortions. Up to 73% say that it is due in part to the fact that they feel they can't financially support a child. So it stands to reason that increasing the affordability of pregnancy and raising a child would decrease the amount of women who have an abortion due to financial hardship.

But it is Democratic policies, not Republican ones that help support low income populations, especially low income women and children. It is Democratic policies, not Republican ones that increase the minimum wage, expand food stamp assistance through WIC, provide more affordable healthcare,  and increase the social safety net for the poorest in our communities. This may help explain why abortion rates and the number of abortions have the sharpest dropoffs during Democratic presidencies (see, for example CDC charts from 1974-2004 -- keep in mind data reporting is most consistent after 1995 -- and 2004-2013).

This is why I am pro-life, but am profoundly and deeply at odds with the so-called "pro-life" movement. It's because when it comes down to it, Republican policies increase the demand for abortions. And I won't stand for that.

{ Note: Here's a more in-depth discussion than I've got here.
            Really do take a moment or two and read it. It's excellent.
Thank you, Abigail, for sharing it with me!}

Are there things that Planned Parenthood counseling, and the ACA could do better? Sure. Are there state-level interventions that can have an impact? Yes. I'm always an advocate for improving any organization or system! But right now Planned Parenthood is a major provider of affordable birth-control and prenatal services, and the ACA has reduced birth control costs by $250 per year for women. Which, in turn, means fewer unwanted pregnancies. Which means fewer abortions.

So what does that mean? Well, I'm going to be here hugging my own two babies close, and I'm going to be fighting for things like Planned Parenthood, for protecting/updating the ACA, and for expansion of social assistance programs so that fewer women have unwanted pregnancies. So that fewer women feel their back is against the wall. I'm going to fight so that all women can be as well supported and financially secure during their pregnancy as I was during mine. So that more women get to experience the joy and beauty of pregnancy and raising their children as free of worry and hardship as I did.

I vote Democrat because I am pro-life.






Further Reading:

How I Lost Faith in the Pro-Life Movement

I'm Pro-Life and I'm Voting For Hillary, and Here's Why

Hillary Clinton is the Best Choice for Voters Against Abortion

I am a Priest and this is why I am Pro-Choice

Can Democrats Reduce Abortion More Than Republicans? - BeliefNet

No comments:

Post a Comment